Monday, October 20, 2014

Biblical shopping

At this point in our lives, we don't have a budget that is so strict that I have to get my calculator out while I'm at the grocery store and I don't have a giant coupon book. That doesn't mean I can justify buying whatever we want whenever we want. I started a Sunday night tradition of shopping for all necessities. Jesse is usually home on Sundays so I can shop in peace without a three year old asking for this and that. It also saves time so I only go once a week and I can go to the family dollar for anything else last minute we may want (like ice cream!) I also update my grocery list every day to make sure I don't forget anything. I look at my calendar for any outside purchases as well like birthday gifts or items for picky eating guests. I discovered the Kroger app which has a list option and it categorizes my items for me so I'm not traveling all over the store. It also has coupons you can load onto your card. For other normal items, I try to purchase in bulk at Target if they have it. I purchased 72 rolls of toilet paper for $14! Other items that's always a good idea to buy in bulk are pet food, diapers, soap, personal huge in items and storage items like ziplock bags. 

I believe this falls into a lifestyle a modern proverbs 31 woman would have. I have been studying the pioneer woman and the proverbs 31 woman this semester as part of my graduate school completion. As I've studied scripture, this woman always plans ahead, always has enough, is always prepared, provides for those who help, and provides for her family as well as works and earns money for herself and family. This daily and weekly lifestyle I have chosen in regards to planning my trips, always having enough for a week to a month, taking care of guests that help us emotionally and physically and also planning it accordingly saves me time, money and allows me to focus on my job teaching and being a student the rest of the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment